Hello readers, Today we are here to share an interesting play idea with you. This play idea has been inspired from one of Sophie’s play date at her friend’s house. They call it Tummy time play. Are you wondering why is it called tummy time? Let us read and understand.
- Other sound making instruments (shaker or bells can work great)
- Textures of different kinds (soft, rough, silky, smooth etc)
- Needle and thread or Glue gun
- A basket
You will have to be ready with the basket filled up with rattles of different kinds and one texture piece of a kind for each of these rattles. (we have added egg shaker and a bell here) You can be more creative and add other similar materials to your sensory basket. Now you can sew up or simply use the glue to gun to roll around a piece of textured material around each of the rattle as shown in the picture below.
Ta-Daaa, it’s ready for play.
- First place your infant on their tummy facing towards you.
- Make them feel comfortable. Talk to them in the same position. Call out their name, laugh, coo and giggle with them.
- Note, not all infants will be comfortable with this position immediately. Some may not be even comfortable being in this position for longer time and it’s okay to have breaks between tummy time play.
- Place the basket in front of the infant.
- First you should observe what they do? Are the colours attracting them? or do they initiate to lend their hands forward to touch the basket or any material within it?
- If you do not see any response from your infant’s end, go ahead and pick up a rattle and shake it to attract their attention.
- Keep the basket at such a distance from your infant that he/she can reach out easily.
- Let your infant explore each rattle by holding it in his/her hand, mouth it or by shaking it.
- Enjoy playing and developing.
Benefits of tummy time play:
- Ensures Gross motor development
- Inspires baby to explore the world around
- More opportunities for sensory experiences
- Develops hand eye coordination
- Bonding with caregiver